Read more: http://www.alltechbuzz.net/#ixzz2G2yO4UQK Upcycled Leather & Rhinestone Jewelry and Design ~ Mens & Womans ~ Sharing Crafting Tips: New life for a mannequin Your SEO optimized title

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

New life for a mannequin

Well, I previously blogged about a mannequin that I wanted to repurpose into a shelf to display my bracelets for craft fairs and like events. I am finally finished. I took some pictures with my inventory so you can see how I plan on using it.



I used "Grungeboard" by Tim Holtz for my shops name. After a coat of flat black paint I finished them off with a script stamp in white ink.



 Altogether we installed six shelves. I say we, because my husband did the cutting. They are made from 1/4" plywood that I bought from Hobby Lobby. I painted them a very light cream and added 1/4" black ribbon on the trim.


Most of the outside is covered with burlap (from Joann's) and also a cream tone canvas style fabric. I cut the material into different shapes so it would lay flat against the mannequin. Modge Podge is my new best friend. All the material on the outside as well as the dictionary pages on the inside were applied with Modge Podge.


I was trying to go for more of a vintage industrial look, but with the gray ruffled trim I may have dipped a little into shabby chic. 


One of my favorite tools I've bought for my Etsy shop is a personalized logo stamp. I bought it off Ebay for about 11 bucks. Super cheap, but it really adds a nice touch and I keep finding different ways to use it.





I just fell in love with these brass buttons (from Joann's) and I had to incorporate them somehow. I think they look perfect. What do you think?


The swirl was made from black rhinestones, adhered with a glue gun. 


You may be wondering what these numbers mean. They are meaningful, in fact its the date I opened my Etsy shop. October the 20th of 2011. I decided that I wanted to stamp them the way the date is written in Europe - putting the day, then month and year.

The hole that you see in the back was already there, and instead of covering it up I decided to leave it. Since the mannequin is tall, and would be easy to topple over on a table, I thought I could use a clamp to secure it to my table. With the hole in the back, the clamp won't be as noticeable.

That's it for pictures. I hope you liked my new project and maybe thought of some new ideas yourself. Share your thoughts below! :-) Thanks for reading

22 comments:

  1. this is soooo unique and creative! visiting you from the etsy promote your blog(s) team :) great blog!

    Saralyn

    www.studiomaisonblog.us

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this i have an extra mannequin i might try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, if you do I would love to see how it turns out! Let me know :-)

      Delete
  3. very unique! Great way of repurposing. You have a great eye for looking beyond and giving a mannequin a new life. I see a potential business here. Pinned and shared on my FB page,EmbellishMePattyV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Patty! What a great compliment. I was looking for more mannequins to work with, but I'm having a hard time finding any. There's gotta be a mannequin graveyard somewhere lol

      Delete
    2. Yes, I would definitely buy one of these displays. I am thinking about something like this for my entry in my apartment.

      Delete
  4. I love this. I was looking at purchasing a mannequin this past weekend and could not bring myself to pay over $60 for one that was covered in fabric. I now will be thrifting to find an undecorated one so that I can decorate/repurpose it myself. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm a new follower as of today (17-01-13). - Kellie's Bling 'N Things - Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kellie, If you find a mannequin and decorate it, let me know. I would love to see someone else's ideas. Thanks for the follow :-)

      Delete
  5. I like very much. Fews days ago I was in old market and I saw 1 ........ I think now will be too late for to go back for to buy it. Sorry my English is not good. Thanks for yours pictures. Martine from France.
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martine, I hope you find one, if you do I would love to see how you finish it up. Don't worry about your English, I can understand just fine :-)
      Thanks for the comment
      Janie

      Delete
  6. What creativity! You are blessed you got your husband to cut it. I could not imagine cutting something like that myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What tool did you use to cut your mannequin?
    MJBoutique

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering what type mannequin this was...I looked on Ebay and craigslist but they don't say what they are made of. What was yours made of? Also the tool to cut it I assume was a jig saw. Is this correct. Thank you for any information on this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a amazing, where did you get the dress form from.... i love this idea

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will 50 home page PBN high quality backlinks da 25 plus Powerful and Permanent PBN Posts Backlinks on High metric sites for Fast and Strong Rankings on Page 1 of Google which will look like real site. 100 Dofollow Blogcomments Free. PBN High Metrics will boost Your SERP Rapidly! 100% safe Google panda & Penguin 100% Indexing of all the Links Guaranteed Ranking Improvements prmenant Backlinks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will 50 home page PBN high quality backlinks da 25 plus Powerful and Permanent PBN Posts Backlinks on High metric sites for Fast and Strong Rankings on Page 1 of Google which will look like real site. 100 Dofollow Blogcomments Free. PBN High Metrics will boost Your SERP Rapidly! 100% safe Google panda & Penguin 100% Indexing of all the Links Guaranteed Ranking Improvements PBN

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do agree with all of the concepts you have introduced in your post. They’re really convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are very brief for starters. May you please extend them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post. reliable soft

    ReplyDelete
  13. “My wife and i have been quite thrilled that Peter could deal with his researching via the precious recommendations he grabbed from your web site. It’s not at all simplistic to just possibly be giving for free facts which some people have been trying to sell. Therefore we consider we need the blog owner to appreciate for this. The main illustrations you made, the simple blog menu, the friendships your site help to instill – it’s got mostly astounding, and it’s really aiding our son in addition to the family recognize that this idea is brilliant, which is extraordinarily indispensable. Thank you for all!” SEO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some truly nice stuff on this website , I like it. Waris Farooq

    ReplyDelete

var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-36850375-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })();